Nigeria President Muhammadu Buhari has endorsed the release of N620 million in addition to N364 that was reportedly released to fight coronavirus in the country.
A few weeks ago, Buhari endorsed the release of N364 million for the purpose of combating the novel coronavirus. When sum together – a total of 984 million has been dished out to fight the deadly disease, however, there was no clue as to what exactly the money will be used for.
Yunusa Tanko Abdullahi, special adviser on media and communication to Zainab Ahmed, the Minister of Finance, in a statement said the release was due to the emergency.
“The approval by President Muhammadu Buhari for the release of funds to tackle COVID-19 was an emergency and the process of releasing the fund was also an emergency as it was an unexpected expenditure,” Abdullahi said in a statement on Friday, March 6, 2020.
“However, the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning had released the first tranche of N364 million some time ago and the process of releasing the second tranche has been concluded with the release of N620 million this morning, bringing total release to N984 million.
“Responding to a media enquiry yesterday, the Honourable Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, promised that the second tranche of the needed fund would be released today, which has been done, keeping to the promise.”
Recall that the most populous country in Africa recorded its first case of coronavirus on Friday, February 27, 2020.
When an Italian businessman came into the country with the coronavirus on February 24 without being detected at the airport.
Following the news, all Nigerians who had contacts with the Italian businessman had been quarantined and none was found with the virus.
So far, there has not been any other confirmed case of anyone with coronavirus in Nigeria.